The International Institute of Space Law’s 57th Colloquium on the Law of Outer Space was held in Toronto from September 29-October 3, 2014. It was a successful week of papers and IISL events.
Highlights included the Young Scholars session with Yvon Henri giving the Nandasiri Jasentuliyana Keynote Lecture and the Manfred Lachs Space Law Moot Court Competition world finals:
Press release IISL 2014-002
Results of the 2014 Manfred Lachs Space Law Moot Court Competition
At the 65th International Astronautical Congress in Toronto the International Institute of Space Law (IISL) organized the Final Rounds of the 2014 Manfred Lachs Space Law Moot Court Competition.
The World Finals, on 2 October 2014, were judged by three sitting Members of the International Court of Justice (ICJ): H.E. Judge Leonid Skotnikov, H.E. Judge Xue, Hanqin and H.E. and Judge Joan E. Donoghue.
The result of the 2014 Competition was as follows:
o Winner: National Law University, Delhi, India
o Best Memorials: Florida State University, Tallahassee, United States
o Best Oralist: Mr. Linesh Lalwani, National Law University
o Runner-up: Florida State University, Tallahassee, United States
o Obafemi Awolowo University, City of Ile-Ife, Nigeria
o University of Paris Sud, Paris, France
The Problem was written by Prof. Dr. Mahulena Hofmann, Czech Republic, with assistance from Mr. James Rendleman, United States.
Also, the results of the IISL elections were announced:
o Kuppam Ramaiyer Sridhara Murthi (India)
o Diane Howard (United States)
o Dennis Burnett (United States)
o Stephan Hobe (Germany)
o Mahulena Hofmann (Czech Republic)
o Frans von der Dunk (Netherlands)
Finally, the IISL announced several awards at its annual dinner:
Press release IISL 2014-003
1. At the 65th book ‘Pioneers of Space Law’, published under the guidance of the IISL Directorate of Studies, was awarded the prestigious book award of the International Academy of Astronautics. The Chairman of the Directorate accepted the award on behalf of the Directorate and all contributors at the annual IAA dinner, on Sunday 28 September 2014, in Toronto.
2. In the course of the 65th
International Institute of Space Law (IISL) offered the following awards:
• The Lifetime Achievement Award to Prof. Dr Paul B. Larsen, United States.
• The Distinguished Service Award to Prof. Dr José Monserrat, Brazil.
• The Certificate of Gratitude to Mr Dennis J. Burnett, United States.
All awards were presented during the annual IISL dinner, on Thursday 2 October 2014, in Toronto.
International Astronautical Congress in Toronto the IISL
International Astronautical Congress in Toronto the
I look forward to seeing everybody next year in Jerusalem!